Club Marine Palace & Suites
Special Offers
- Guestrooms
- Suites
Location & Travel
Photo Gallery

Subscribe to our Newsletter




Civil Ceremony





A popular type of ceremony for a wedding abroad is the civil marriage. This is performed in the Town Hall at Perama, the neighbouring town.  The certificate is legally binding around the world and has no connection to any religious faith.  


Civil Ceremony Requirements


Both the bride & groom require
• Application Form (provided by the Town Hall.  Not needed when both names are registered on the certificate of no impediment).
• Residence Permit (if either the bride or groom is resident in Greece)
• Copies of Passports
• Full Birth Certificate, the shorter version of the Certificate will not be accepted.
• Certificate of  No Impediment or Marriage Licence*, this document certifies that both parties are free to marry and can be obtained from your local registrar and can take up to a month to obtain, this certificate must not be issued more than three months prior to the wedding date (officially stamped and translated into Greek).
• Divorce or Death Certificate*, if previously married a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate if marriage ended due to the death of spouse.
• Wedding Announcement published in 2 newspapers (country of residence and country of marriage) at least 8 days before the marriage. The Announcement must state the full names of the bride & groom, date of wedding and place of residence – in this case the name of the hotel. This is not required if both names appear on the Certificate of  No Impediment
• Payment: 150 Euros municipal tax for marriage at the Town Hall (extra charges may be made for other locations).  15 Euros Tax Stamp (paid in Greece to the Treasury Fund)
• During the marriage, the couple must have their Identity Cards / passports  and two witnesses (over 18 and with Identity Cards / passport)
• The marriage must be registered within forty days of the wedding day


The following may also be required:
• Change of Name or Deed Poll Certificate*, this is required in the event that the bride or groom has changed name by Deed Poll or court order.
• Adoption Certificate* required if either party was adopted.
• Baptism Certificate*, required only for a Catholic or Greek Orthodox ceremony.
• Court Decision For Minors Under 18*


Note 1:
All documents marked * must be translated and bear the Hague (Apostille) stamp. This must be completed at least one month before the wedding.
• All foreign documents (before being translated) must bear the Hague stamp ΄΄Apostille΄΄ (for documents of countries which have signed this treaty)
• For the remaining countries, instead of the Hague stamp, an certification of the signature of the person signing the foreign text is required from the Greek Consulate in the country of issue of the certificate or from the consulate of the country itself in Greece and then from the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Note 2:
• All foreign documents (except passports) must be officially translated into Greek from the Greek consulate in the country of issue or from the translating service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens or from a Greek lawyer



For more information please contact:

Contact us  I  Hotel News  I  Media Coverage